When it comes to attire, many clients aren’t sure what to wear. What you wear is key for a successful session! The clothing you choose should complement who you are as a family and speak to the environment in which the session is taking place. Additionally, you’ll want to coordinate with your home where the final images will be displayed, so your style should be as unique as your family! With this in mind, we have a few tips for putting together the perfect style for a creative yet comfortable session.
Remember to coordinate well with the rest of the group in addition to these four tips…
- Select solid colors (they tend to photograph best).
- Choose clothes that flatter your body type.
- Men will want to get a haircut a week or so before the session and arrive to the shoot clean-shaven.
- Women should style their hair the day of and wear natural makeup that is slightly heavier than usual.
Sleeveless shirts and short shorts tend to be unflattering. Large logos and bold patterns can be overwhelming and should be worn with caution. Furthermore, you’ll want to avoid dressy clothing unless the session is specifically for a formal event.
- Babies and Kids:
Newborns are sweet sleepy bundles, so keep things simple with these four tips…
- Solid onsies, simple cloth diapers or plain swaddling blankets are perfect.
- Accessories such as a knitted cap can be adorable for a few shots.
- Sentimental objects like an heirloom silver rattle can add a special touch.
- Additional blankets help add variety.
Adult clothing with collars and buttons should be avoided with young babies. Socks, shoes, and large bows are unnecessary. However, toddlers and children can be bolder with color and style…
- Choose light layers to show off their fun style.
- Comfortable, casual, but fitted clothing is best in order to capture natural expressions and personalities.
Kids are best when they’re allowed to be kids. Avoid makeup and hairspray as well was overly baggy clothing. We want this to be a great experience for everyone, so come prepared to have a bit of fun to not only capture real smiles, but also create positive memories.
The Whole Family:
You will want to coordinate and plan your complete outfits a few days prior to the session. Follow these tips and you can’t go wrong…
- Make sure all clothing and clean and pressed a few days before the scheduled shoot.
- When coordinating outfits, don’t forget about the importance of accessories!
- Layers are a portrait session’s best friend, so choose a color palette of 3 or 4 colors and mix it up. You want a consistent theme, but avoid anything to “matchy.”
- Depending on the location of the shoot, keep in mind that light clothes look best on a lighter background while dark clothes look best on darker backgrounds.
- Don’t forget about shoes! They should be stylish and clean!
If you need ideas for colors or coordinating the whole group without matching, just look through magazines and adds. Our favorite stores include GAP, J. Crew Crewcuts, Janie n Jack, and Brooks Brothers!
Follow these tips and your session is destined for success! And if you need more help, never be afraid to go directly to the photographer with questions!